Sunday 7 June 2015

Birth of a Team Part 1. (An idea becomes a plan.)


Article by James Brewerton
 
So why would you want to read about a team that has not even had a meet up yet?, well if this game we all love is to grow in the UK many more people will find themselves at the same point I am at and if they can read my trials and tribulations it may help them avoid any problems I may encounter.

Why a flag team? If the pinnacle of our sport in the full contact adult game at the Britbowl then its roots and foundation has to become the young school kid pulling on his/her flag belt ready to take on the team from the next school. It is my opinion that to create a new age in British American Football we need to get schools playing flag.

First things first while Manchester and Wigan have a few flag teams Cheshire and North Staffordshire has none, so first we need a team. My first port of call was my local clubs committee to find out if they have any plans in place for a flag team. The Crewe Railroaders have plans for flag but not for a few years yet so I asked for their blessing to start an independent team. Why would I not want to create a Railroaders flag team, the answer is simple in Cheshire and North Staffordshire we have 3 adult contact teams Chester Romans, Crewe Railroaders and Staffordshire Surge what I have planned is to benefit the whole game not just one club if through flag I can interest young players who want to progress up to full contact then they will have plenty of choice.
 

So here I sit a long term goal of getting flag football into local schools and a short term goal of an active adult flag team to compete in the league in 2016. In this day and age social media can be the making of any team/club so for me I wanted to create a brand/image first. I put out feelers and had enough positive response from regular players that I could produce a team, so encouraged I started my planning. A name is a big part of a club and one thing I love about my local area is the huge amount of history connected with the English Civil War, I did not think Roundheads was a good name so Cavaliers it had to be, so we will not be tied to one town/city I went with Cheshire Cavaliers.

I contacted a design studio about creating a logo and was very pleased with the result, I have a friend who has agreed to go on this journey with me who has created a Facebook Page and Twitter feed and contact email for the team.


Twitter:  @CavaliersFlag


So what next? Well it’s all about getting together; in the next few weeks we shall get as many players as possible together and get playing flag. Long term I have registered for a level 1 coaching course and when I have that I can look at a DBS check  (A DBS check may be needed for certain jobs or voluntary work, e.g. working with children or in healthcare) after that it’s all about creating a taster session that can go into schools.

I guess I had also best let you know a little about myself, my name is James Brewerton and while I love sport I am one of guys each club has, committed and keen but always getting injured. Last year I called time on every being able to play contact sport again and returned to an early love Photography I have been following several American football teams since and love the respect you receive from all players and coaches. While not in education myself I am in fact the only member of my family and in-laws who is not working in education. I have a natural ability to organise and coach over the years I have organised several charity event and help create a few clubs I in my second hobby miniature wargames (think Bloodbowl). As you can see I may not have the experience of playing the game but I feel I have all the skills needed to start something long lasting and a benefit to the game, you never know I may even get on the playing field for a few snaps.

Watch this space to see the rise of the Cheshire Cavaliers Flag Football Team.

Peace James

No comments:

Post a Comment